Well, it's that time of year again. Valentine's Day cannot go unnoticed. I'm pretty sure Target started putting out those wretched pink hearts and chocolate boxes months ago. So many of my friends dread this time of year because it reminds them, once again, of their single status. I, however, have always felt the opposite. Not that I enjoy V-Day, I actually think the whole idea is sort of stupid whether you are dating someone or not. But every year, I get together with my closest friends and celebrate solidarity and each other. I mean think about it...for those of you who are single...this is the ONLY time in your life that you will be single. Why do we try to rush things? What is the need in trying to hurry ourselves into the arms of a significant other or a trip down the aisle. ENJOY BEING SINGLE. This is not a deadly diagnosis. Being single has its perks, and after all, the best things in life are worth waiting for. So, get off the couch...put the Ben and Jerry's back in the freezer...go buy something fabulous...and rock this V-Day with a multitude of single people...I know I will be. In the words of Lorelai Gilmore, "Solidarity, sister!"
On that note, let's talk about relationships. As I mentioned in my last post, I am writing this blog for a class and one of the main things we have been discussing is how to work on being better communicators. I find this ironic because it is slightly congenial to one of the goals I made for myself this year. I am not one to don a list of New Year's resolutions. Instead, I try to set goals on areas of my life that I need to work on...not just throughout the year, but permanent changes that need to be made. Well, this year, I decided to work on my relationships. Now, most people hear that word and immediately think of the current McDreamy that inhabits their thoughts. There are, however, other relationships than the ones comprised of boyfriends and girlfriends. Not that those aren't important, but that is certainly not my focus.
Naturally, the first relationship I need to work on is the most important one to me...my relationship with God, Abba Father, my Savior. I have always found it strange that I can grow so close to Him at the beginning of each year as I try to start the year anew and focus solely on Him. However, as the months come along, I always end up falling further and further behind. Through the help of my AMAZING church, Safe Haven Church, I have really been encouraged to "Encounter" God every day as we walk through our sermon series together. I am so grateful for this body of believers and the work that God is doing there. I love everything about SHC and cannot wait to see what is to come for us all in the future. If you are looking for a place to worship our Savior and grow closer to Him, check us out! http://safehavenchurch.com/
This year, I am trying (really hard I might add) to work on my relationships with others. This will not come as a surprise to most, but it has always been REALLY hard for me to befriend girls. I don't know what it is, but I have never been able to get very close to female friends. So, one of my main goals was to work on that. After moving to Tuscaloosa in August, I met an awesome girl named Casey at the BCM on campus. She has basically been my saving grace these past few months, and we will be living together come July. Although we have become very close, I was really trying to make other "girl" friends. Throughout the past few months and even weeks, I have grown very close to other ladies that I have met through Safe Haven Church. We get together at least once a week (sometimes more) and have a great time. Just having these ladies to fellowship with, talk to about life, and encourage and pray for one another is a tremendous help and I greatly look forward to our "girl time."
As well as my relationship with God and other girls, I am also trying to grow closer to my family and old friends. I have been really bad about not keeping touch with these precious people as I moved throughout the past few years. I am hoping that I will get better at communicating and spending time with my family and friends that I have had for years, but often forget to talk to. I know that sounds horrible, but it is so true. I often just forget to talk to people. I don't realize how long it has been since our last conversation, and I will let it go on for months unintentionally. What can I say? I am a work in progress.
So, instead of being depressed this Valentine's Day, think about all of the relationships you do have. Which ones could you be working on?
No comments:
Post a Comment