Thursday, June 9, 2011

After the Storm

And after the storm,
I run and run as the rains come
And I look up, I look up,
on my knees and out of luck,
I look up.
- Mumford and Sons


As you know, Alabama was changed forever on April 27th.
Fatal storms devastated towns and took the lives of many. 
My family, friends and I were fortunate enough to not sustain any 
harm or damage throughout the day's events.
Not only was my current city of Tuscaloosa affected, but my hometown 
was destroyed as well. 

I honestly don't think that the tragedy of this storm really hit me until recently.
I was too busy rejoicing over finals and classes being cancelled to truly realize what 
had occurred in this state that I call home. 
It wasn't until last week that I truly became humbled and awe-struck by this event. 

I started summer classes last week (joy!), and in the midst of my complaining about all of the 
work and stress I have going on right now, I was reminded how blessed I truly am.
A girl in my class- with the same workload that I have- said that she lost everything in the storm.
All of a sudden, my selfish grumbling turned in to a piece of humble pie. 
This girl- the same age as me- lost EVERYTHING and was still enduring the bore of summer classes 
and the busyness that comes with it. 
Who am I to be bitter about all of the books that I have to read and the hours I am spending 
doing work that I would probably just waste away watching corny movies anyways?
Suddenly, all of the stress I have been facing lately dwindled...

Shortly after this, I had another encounter that changed my perspective.
While at work, I had the honor of meeting a precious elderly couple from New Orleans.
They spent half an hour telling me all about their wonderful and beautiful granddaughter. 
Then, they revealed to me that this angelic woman they had been describing lost her life
in the tragic storms that came through Tuscaloosa.
They gave me some pictures of her, a Catholic prayer card, and a momentum from her memorial service. 
I treasure these items because it is just another symbol that I was only a mile away from this girl-
who is close to my age- and she was taken- I wasn't.
Her family is forever changed and the lives she touched will never forget her. 
I wish that I would have had the privilege of knowing the girl who was the apple of her
grandparents' eyes. 
My prayer is that the loved ones of this sweet girl, Ashley Harrison, and all others affected
by this tragedy will be able to overcome this somehow. 

As the song lyrics I posted above stated, after the storm, many were left on their knees and out of luck.
All they had left to do was to look up.
So, look up.
Whatever storm you are enduring right now, there is only One who can calm the turbulence 
around you and help you overcome it. 
You won't find it in a significant other, the bottom of a bottle, or a Saks 5th Avenue. 
Look up! 

Lastly, I want to share with you a video that literally brought chills on every surface of my body. 
They played this at the vigil in Downtown Tuscaloosa that was in memory and honor
of those who lost their lives in the deadly storm. 


It's hard to imagine how Tuscaloosa will ever be able to rebuild the damage that we experienced.
However, we're coming back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment